Friday 30 October 2009

Evaluation Questions on film

1. Who did you work with and how did you manage the task between you?
I worked with Kam, Tom, Katie and Louise I did most of the editing and me and Tom created the music on garage band. Louise and Kam did the filming and me and Katie were being filmed but we all put our imput in on what we should film and how we should film it.


2. How did you plan your short filmed piece? Did you use any other films for your inspiration?


we created a picture board of the different camera shots we would do, we also drew the action are characters in the film were doing as we tryed to create a horror. we had no other films for inspiration.



3. What technology did you use to complete the task, and how did you use it?


We used a camera and imovie and also garage band on the macs to create our film

4. What factors did you have to take into account when planning, shooting and editing?


We had to choose a dark environment but as their were lessons going on, there wasn't much space so we were limited in where we could film and it was noisy so when it came to editing we put music in to cover it up. The setting wasn't scary so it didn't really fit to the horror genre

5. Which film conventions does the piece follow? e.g. music, match on action, 180 degree rule, camera work etc


Me and Tom created a very load and bassy piece of music because it fitted well with our genre and what we were filming also it was in beat with the camera changes which was good as it made it flow. The match on action was a close up of my hand on the door and then I was seen on the other side from a different persons perspective.

6. Which does it break?

7. How did you consider mise en scene? e.g. lighting, camera work, setting, costume, props etc
We used a dark environment as it fits in with the horror genre but I found it wasn't dark enough. We had our hostage in the corner as it was the darkest this was to show that she was alone. I was wearing a hoodie and a bandaner across my face this was to show that I was the villain and it showed that I had something to hide.


8. How did you consider narrative? Is there a sense of a storyline? Can any theorists be applied e.g. Barthes, Todorov, Propp, Levi Strauss
Our story line was a girl who had been taken hostage and the villain dressed in a hoodie and bandaner over his face was trying to get information off of her in the end he hit her and killed her. we used the action code as it put the audince on edge and also the enigama code was used because at the start we didn't know why she was there.

9. How successful was your filmed piece? Identify what worked well, and with hindsight, what would you improve/do differently?
I think our piece was good because it used all the conventions we were told to and a few more. but it was very short and didn't create much tension. If I was to do it again I would take more time in filming and use a wider range of shots to make it last longer. I would also have liked more lesson time as we didn't have much time to complete the task and I feel it was a bit rushed.

10. What have you learnt about producing a short piece of film? Looking ahead, how will this learning be significant when completing the rest of your foundation coursework?
It has givern me a base to work from and I think I will be able to improve on what I have done if I do a film for my actual courswork piece

1 comment:

  1. A good evaluation Rob. You include relevant terminology and have considered strengths and weaknesses well. Do try to consider other narrative theorists.

    ReplyDelete